Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Nothing Much

So I haven't been doing anything much. I spent all of Sunday doing laundry. The dryers here should really be called "less-damp-ers", as they don't actually dry anything. I put my Tshirts (no jeans, no sweatshirts, just Tshirts) through the dryer three times and still ended up spreading them all over my room to get them to dry properly. (I also have a drying rack, and it's still filled with jeans and such that need to dry.) I've also spent a bunch of time on the phone with the phone company trying to get the stupid line fixed. No go, as far as I can tell. I was told that I was "very rude" by the other person on the line, though. (This was after the sixth time I called, and all I wanted was a guarantee (or at least some way to check) that a technician would actually be sent to my room. Stupid company.

I've also been fighting with myself about my differential geometry class. To say I hate it with a passion would be an understatement: even thinking about the material ruins my mood. I've started doing the example sheet (here lingo for problem set) five or six times, and each time I work on a problem, figure out a way to do it, and then stop, too disgusted with the material to keep working. And it's not that the problems are bad: they're good, they're well-written, there's a good selection. I just really really hate thinking about them. I prefer wading through my group theory homework or diagram chasing on the category theory stuff.

Nothing much else going on. I watched Nochnoi Dozor with Andres on Friday. I really really like it: it was beautiful and fun to watch, and created a really cool world in itself. The subtitles were really funny, too: they kept saying things like "[speaks Russian]" for slang, and they mistranslated a lot. I recommend the movie to anyone who likes SF/artsy horror movies/thrillers. If you don't like any of these you'll hate the movie, so don't even try watching it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason, Europe is generally less into driers than America. I feel like at some apartment we were staying (though I don't remember where) there was a drier that made your clothes warm, and that's about it. And often there just aren't driers... I wonder why the difference.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Differential Geometry -- why would not you just drop the class if you hate it so much?

On the dryers --
I think the most people in Europe just don't use them to save their energy cost, and so they are mostly for the Americans. So there is actually no incentive to make them work well (and probably no competition). It's like showers in Italy 10 years ago -- stupid Americans were asking for them, so they were put everywhere, even if they ended up being just above the toilet :)

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really surprised by your attitude to differential geometry. I really liked this class in Moscow state (of course a big of that was due to Fomenko's drawing). Everything was so clear and made sense. And can you imagine yourself beeing a professional mathematician one day and not know what differential geometry is about? Also, you never know what gets handy later.

Anya.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched "Nochnoi Dozor" a few days ago. It was rather weird....

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home